Feb 27, 2016

Beauty and a Beast: Tanner’s talents extend off the court – The Auburn Plainsman

By CJ Holmes | Sports Writer | 17 hours ago01242016auwbb_ds014


Source | The Auburn Plainsman

Tra’Cee Tanner (44). Arkansas vs Auburn Women’s Basketball on Sunday, Jan. 24, 2016. (Contributed: Dakota Sumpter/Auburn Athletics)



Auburn women’s basketball focus Tra’Cee Tanner has actually made herself a reputation as one of the most tenacious, endured centers in the Southeastern Conference over the past four years. And along with graduation right about the corner, the 6-foot-3 senior is going to have actually some essential decisions to make sooner pretty compared to later.

The overseas professional game could be a good option for her, however she’s additionally considering yet another route — something a little much less tenacious and a little much more stylish. 

Tanner, an apparel merchandising major, has actually constantly had passion for fashion and design, and sometimes, she doesn’t wish to be the next DeWanna Bonner. Sometimes she prefers to be the next Betsey Johnson.

“[Johnson] has actually a carefree-type ego concerning her,” Tanner said. “She truly doesn’t care concerning just what various other individuals think, and she has actually her own style. I additionally adore the job of Christian Siriano, since he has actually his own label and his own line.

“Those are two surely role models I truly look up to, along with Christian Siriano being so young in the industry and Betsey Johnson being so notable. Johnson’s tactics and techniques have actually been unique to her. They’ve worked for her, and she’s stuck along with them. That sort of makes me feel love if I preserve an innovative mindset and stay with just what I truly wish to achieve, I can easily be merely as successful.”

One day, Tanner hopes to establish a brand of her own. Her teammates fully support her dreams, and even volunteer to model her designs occasionally.

“They’ve helped me arrive my talents,” Tanner said. “A few of them would certainly let me style them for the AUSPY’s and different events that we’ve had. I additionally do hair and makeup on the side. That’s something not a great deal of individuals understand concerning me.”

Tanner makes sure her hair, makeup and nails are done for each game, however don’t let that fool you. Beneath the beauty, lies a beast.

“As quickly as I’m on the court, I’m something for good different,” said Tanner. “If someone hits me, I’m going to hit them back. however regardless of exactly how bodily I play, I still attempt to preserve that girly girl aspect of me.”

Tanner feels love there isn’t enough personality in women’s basketball, and that gender stereotypes are holding the game back.

“I believe there’s a misconception concerning exactly how female basketball gamers are viewed,” Tanner said. “They consider us love were so hardcore or attempting to be guy-like. So, for us to have the ability to be females and additionally athletes, we constantly wish to have the ability to have actually that balance. There are some girls that wish to be much more hardcore and be known on and off the court as that. however A few of us wish to let individuals know, ‘That’s not me. I’m a lady off the court. I’m a lady on the court as well, however I can easily still get hold of down and dirty As quickly as I reason to.’” 

Related Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment